Sunday, 5 July 2009

Don't Drink The Water

thankyou to my friend Ruth in the USA for sending me this.

Dog owners warned of toxic algae in ponds due to heatwave---------------------------------------------------------Dog owners have been warned not to let their pets swim in ponds and lakes because of a deadly poisonous algae which is thriving in the heatwave. In the West Midlands dead fish were found floating in a park due to oxygen depletion from the algae and the fountains in Trafalgar Square had to be closed because of the green slime. It has also caused trouble for gardeners and fishermen.Vets have now raised concerns that dogs diving into lakes and ponds are at risk of being poisoned by ingesting a toxic blue green algae called Cyanobacteria.Mark Johnston, of the British Small Animals Veterinary Association, warned pet owners to keep dogs away from lakes or ponds where the poisonous algae is growing. He said although blue green algae is usually rare, due to the successive hot days it has become more commonplace. "If blue green algae is in still water you should not allow animals to swim," he said.A resident of Lodsworth, West Sussex [in the south of England], almost lost her 5 year old collie, Cassie, after the dog went swimming in Petworth Park National Trust Lake [] and drank some of the algae. "There is a 4 to 5 hour window from ingestion of the poisonous water to death," she said. "Fortunately we were able to get to a vet who knew what to do and saved Cassie's life. I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to go through what we have been through -- so even if your dog is desperate to cool off in this hot weather, make sure it is in a river or the sea."Charles Williams, a vet, gave the dog adrenaline and 2 and a half pints of fluid to rehydrate it. After his initial life-saving treatment he rang toxicologists at the Veterinary Poison Information Centre for advice on the algae and how to treat its effects."They described Cassie's case exactly and we were able to build up a picture of her problem," he said. "At one point I thought we were going to lose her but within half an hour we began to make inroads. She is a very lucky dog."Mr Williams warned other dog owners to steer clear of stagnant ponds particularly those which looked turgid and green. He said if pets show symptoms of illness shortly after leaving water, have acute salivation and pale gums they should be taken to their vet immediately."Blue green algae is an extremely poisonous substance and from the 1st signs dogs can die very quickly," he said. A spokeswoman for the National Trust at Petworth Park said signs were now being placed around the pond. She said: "We are aware of the algae and we have put up warning notices telling people not to let their dogs or their children play in the water."

i know when i have the dogs out in hot weather it is tempting to throw them into a lake to help them cool off,shall have to think twice now!!

1 comment:

  1. it's scary there are so many hazards to watch out for it's a full time job keeping them safe.